Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A tribute to Her . . . .

This is probably one of my most overdue posts. I've blogged about almost everything and anything under the sun. This one goes out to the special women in my life. My candles of hope, my unconditional givers of love, my TEACHERS. Teachers are one of the most influential people in a child's life. That is an understatement. They have the power to make or break you. I consider myself extremely lucky to have been blessed with such an elite team of individuals. It's no wonder I remember every single teacher who's ever taught me. Let's start from Grade I.


I remember bawling my eyes out one June morning, I clung to my grandfather as he unsuccessfully tried to deposit me on of the benches in the room. My to-be classmates stared at me with an amused air, I swear I heard a few chuckles or two. Now who could blame them? They probably thought I was the next best thing to Shin Shan! I mean which I'st Grade student cries her way into the school building and into the first academic session? Apparently it is I. It was a new school and I was no more than a pudgy toddler. It was then I had my first taste of the power that is TEACHER.
She swept in with an air of calm, her cool fingers wiped away my tears, her lilting voice soothed me enough for me to release my stranglehold on my grandfather. She was Lekha ma'am my first ever class teacher and I was smitten by her!


I shifted to Hyderabad in class IV. I was determined to make things work this time. So my chin stuck up in the air, lips a-quivering I marched into my new school ready to face a whole new world. I settled into the rhythm of my new life quick. I was shy, incredibly so (those who know me today will ask you to get your brain checked if you tell them this). But life moved on, I was the type of girl who would sit in the front row, spectacles pushed up on my nose, hand already in the air to answer the question that had hardly left the teachers mouth. But my padaku attitude did me good. I was soon the topper of my class. I was always my teacher's chamchi which invariably made me a favourite in their eyes. But it wasn't till class VII that I actually discovered just how much the bond is worth.


I used to suck at math! It was a subject summoned from my personal hell just to torment me! I guess my problem was that I lacked a proper understanding of the subject, all my math teachers up till then somehow never managed to exactly get through to me, whatever the case I vehemently despised the subject. I remember getting my first and last 'D' in the subject in class VI, and I have never gotten a 'C' ever in my life! So when then the new academic session started my misery knew no bounds.
The first math class my teacher Shamini ma'am called on me to demonstrate a sum regarding Integers on the board. My hand was shaking as I gripped the chalk but something in her expression kept me going and I finished confidently. Her one nod of approval and the warmth in her eyes tingled me till my toes. Maybe this year won't be so bad! I thought. Boy was I even close!


My class VII teachers were my best ever. I enjoyed a wonderful rapport with them as well as my friends. A sense of family enveloped me whenever I stepped into the school. Life could get no better! We had a tightly knit group of about 6 or 7 girls. We were notorious for making mischief, yet also the apple of our teachers eyes who swore their hair would grey up before they got us to tone down! We loved them too. They were so caring, informal, their classes lively and entertaining. But towards the end of the year I was facing problems with some of the group members. I was depressed for a few days but forced myself to keep going at the problem until it was solved. But that's not the issue. Every year we have a Hobby darshan at the end of the academic session where children display their skills.


This year my parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, the whole lot of them decided to accompany us to the school. Somewhere amidst the noise and confusion I remember Shamini ma'am coming up to me and drawing me aside. By then we had established a lovely relationship. She had turned around the subject math for me. Admitted I was not the sharpest tool in the shed but the proud look on her face when she handed me back my answer sheets always drove me to perform better. I loved my math teacher which invariably resulted in my loving her subject too. Anyways back to her pulling me aside. Her eyes were full of concern. She had noticed that I looked put out the last few days and had wanted to know if something was wrong! My mind was reeling! Never had any teacher shown so much love and care for me! I just wanted to hug her then. Her compassionate expression drew the secrets out of me and pretty soon I'd poured my heart out to her.


Shamini ma'am encouraged me promising me that I would definitely do well and that I was one of her best students so far.
And life moved on. I still see her every spare minute I can, rushing to her class whenever I have a free period. She always drops whatever she's doing then and makes time for me. She makes me feel special, blessed and for that I cannot thank her enough. I came to class VIII a whole new batch of teachers to impress. But I managed none the less. I took a liking to my Hindi teacher Sangeetha ma'am. She is the BEST Hindi teacher I've had so far. She is filled with a motherly love for her students and my heart turns to putty whenever I'm with her. She believed in me and made me look for things I never knew I had in me. And when I won the elections for the Asst. Head Girl she beamed with pride touching my heart with her simple gesture. But the most best thing that has happened to me since I entered the senior block is my principal Simi ma'am.


She is the epitome of efficiency. She shoulders so many responsibilities yet always has a smile for you at the end of the day. It's pretty obvious why she's the principal. They don't make women like that anymore. Back of steel, heart full of love, she had me in raptures the first time I spoke to her. She oozes confidence and the first time she spoke to me remembering my name I felt I had accomplished something great! Even today, a year from when I met her I can't help but be awed with the way she carries herself. She's a wonder on stage and she is the first 'Role Model' I've ever had.
Apart from her I also have my English teachers Aanchal ma'am and Sudha ma'am. All the credit goes to Aanchal ma'am for making me the writer I am today. I remember she'd urged me to go for an inter school essay writing competition in class VII and I'd won the first prize. There was no looking back from there. Sudha ma'am she's my English teacher this year and it's amazing the amount of work she puts in for her students. Sheila ma'am my physics teachers too is very observant and has a lovely aura about her which immediately relaxes the students.


All in all I would like to give big muah! to all my teachers cause I can't stop thanking them enough for making me who I am today. I know they will always remain a part of me forever, you can't erase something that had been engraved into your heart! And that is an understatement.


No comments:

Post a Comment