Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Infectious

I am grumpy, pissed off, annoyed, irritated whatever you can call it. Basically I'm not in the mood to be messed with. Long story short my day was nothing short of a disaster and I'm feeling totally grumped out with the whole world for no particular reason. Right now I feel like pulling the next person who approaches me and giving them a piece of my mind! God! It feels so nice to unload your frustration on someone like that, scream, kick, throw a tantrum! Basically do everything you know you're going to regret later! But that's not who I am. My parents have always taught me to carry my own baggage. I've always been taught to keep my emotions in check and behave towards others the way I would expect someone to behave with me.


And I completely agree with this policy. I mean, why should someone have to suffer for you being stupid? Believe me, I know people who feel the world revolves round them, their moods are directly proportional to all those around them. I firmly despise such people. A grumpy mood is like an infection, something that is passed on unconsciously. It starts out as something you are unhappy with but before you know it the whole room is grumped out thanks to your negative vibes. I know the elation of getting something off your chest yet I've also experienced the agony of a hasty decision. Riding the storm out is always better than succumbing to the waves. Pouring your troubles out to someone who sympathises is a different thing, forcing someone to endure your foul mood just because you aren't at the happiest moment of your life is plain torment. No person, especially your friends and family should be subjected to such stuff.


The way a person deals with a sticky situation speaks a lot about their character, the whole world is watching  and every move of your is checked. I stared at my sullen face in the mirror, a  sullen face stared back at me. Further goaded a scowl spread across my face, being mirrored by my reflection the next instant. I glared for a moment contemplating on whether my reflection deserved a punch or not. And then it struck me! Man, was I being childish or what!? I was receiving exactly what I was giving. The scowls and frowns on the mirror were produced by me. I laughed out loud at my stupidity and was pleasantly surprised by what I saw! My face lit up and was much more pleasant to the eyes.


I remember a story I read somewhere which really inspired me. A guy 'A' had gone to an optical centre to get his glasses fixed. He was accompanied by his friend - guy 'B'. They both got their frames repaired, but while guy 'A' was happy with his glasses, his friend was highly annoyed with his and promptly threw them in the trash can on the way out.. A third guy who observed all this commented about it to the sales clerk behind the desk. The clerk smiled and replied that it was no fault of guy 'B' and his actions were justified as his lenses were tinted red due to some manufacturing mistake and the world world appeared dyed in red to him. The same way, lenses are the way through which we view life, some have a clear view while others are prejudiced. If your lenses are tinted red, do what guy 'B' did - trash them. Life will get that much more uncomplicated.  


I'm not saying we are always meant to be the epitome of patience and are meant to be polite and courteous all the time. It feels fun to let go sometimes! Being grumpy is fine as long as the person in question is only you. Like the saying goes 'Your freedom ends at the tip of the other person's nose!' your mood too stays with you.Being tolerant is always the safer bet in life as things have an uncanny way of coming back to us in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment