Saturday, February 11, 2012

Homegirl

Ever heard of stories in which people see someone directly across the room, their eyes meet, a small smile plays up in the corners of their mouths and they realize that they've found their soul mates? This is not one of those stories. This is a story of how I did meet my soul mate, one of my best friends Janani. It's her birthday this 12th and I'm writing this to show her how much she matters to me. Let's begin with my usual unrelated introduction. Life is a funny bunny no? Nothing is constant in it except for you. Its an amazing journey with your goal at the end. But I've come to realize that often the road is better than the destination itself . . . you know like Moose says in Step Up 3 (Watch the movie if you don't get my reference ;) )



source: http://www.creativelydifferentblinds.com/BlindImages/5028.jpg

So anyway, an important part of this journey are the people you meet on the way and the relationships you forge. A man is often judged by the company he keeps and I'm lucky to say that in that department I'm more than blessed. The quality not quantity of your friends matters and I'm proud to confess that I have 4 of the most awesome people as my best friends! They mean the world to me and its funny how the only thing that we don't have in common is blood! I would give them more preference than some of my own relatives. Families are the friends that Life picks out for you, but friends are the family that you pick out for life.



source: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhjihDnlUuPAQpquwIPUedT0F_pr6HuU2mh6GO7JTAg6qW3C8IPEJDlpXw22OfSL6ozqEPgWHhww_mRy-LiEWKxMvpc5THhGA5M8izZE613IJLmXIh_2JXzO6w-WoAZbZuTEbHqkS3xqTk/s1600/friends.jpg

 It's kind of an open secret that I don't connect to people much. Oh yeah I'm all bubbly and friendly on the surface but odds are if I've met you we probably shared a few laughs but that's it. You wont know my innermost feelings, my strongest opinions. But hey, its like that for everyone right? That's what best friends are for! (Plz ignore me if I'm rambling, I tend to do that) Anyways, to get to the point we're an unlikely pair and not something that I expected would happen.The friendship is still fresh out of the oven! But that doesn' t mean its something unimportant. On the contrary, it's one of the best thing that's ever happened to me. Getting to the point yet again, as I recall Janani and I met in the 7th grade. One of the earliest memories I have of her is her teeth chattering in the cold! (Yeah, hell of a memory I know . . but if you'd been there, you would've remembered it too! She looked like a cartoon)



source: http://www.sky-wallpaper.com/uploads/2010-12/snow-girl-wallpaper/1292420902-20WNK1D.jpg

We didn't hit it off right away, but like I said my friends are the world to me and to put long things short I was latoo on Smruthi at the time. Yeah, so she was this cute kid, silent (to me), studious and funny. I never thought much of it but at the end of the year We began to speak more freely and in class 8 we were a bit more than just hi-bye friends. I have no idea why but at the end of that year I had confessed most of my secrets to that girl. I'm never usually that open to people. I tend to clutch my cards close to my chest, it took me the longest time to open up to Smruthi as well. The only other person who I've done that to is Mititsha but it was with the security that she was my senior and had a safe distance and perspective from what was going on in my life. 



source: http://aztaree.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/friends1.jpg


In the beginning of class 9 we started conversing over the phone. And thus we began drifting closer to each other. The more I talked to her the more I realized how stupid I had been. I hadn't see something as great as her right under my nose! She amazed me with her opinions on just about everything, her kind of dry sense of humour, her crack-ness! But it was not until one day on the phone when she told me' I love you' that I realized how close we'd become! Before you knew it we started meeting up in school. I still remember our adda, by the staircase, we had to discontinue meeting there due to some reasons and had to settle for meeting in front of either of our classes but when I did meet her it seemed like a load had gotten of my chest. Today when I see her I smile automatically . . . she has that effect on me! She's one of the most real people I've met you know? She doesn't try to hide her opinions and gives everyone a piece of her mind. It came as kind of a shock for diplomatic me! I had gotten used to trying to please everyone and trying to tailor my opinions to fit their fancy and she came as a breath of fresh air. She is extremely beautiful, this was also another thing that I realized in class 8 itself.



source: http://stockfresh.com/files/i/iofoto/m/71/7493_stock-photo-girl-children-twin-sisters.jpg

But what captivates me is on the inside . . . We are two very different people yet we get along like a house on fire! We are so differently opinionated. I have my whole future mapped out for me, she just cares about living in the 'now'! It is rightly said that looks are deceptive! Don't let that pretty exterior fool you! She:
a) Talks in the most non-stop, no-nonsense manner possible!
b) Roughs me up all the time, though I'm almost four inches taller than her!
c) Is bloody impulsive and doesn't think before speaking/doing whats on her mind!
d) she loves to eat! ( yeah whats up with that? but just another reason for me to love her! It's not every day that you get a teenage girl proclaiming that she loves to hog! Next to me, Lay's is her best friend! )
e) Talks in her sleep (awww! how cute! Bella does that in twilight! Again, read the book if you don't get my reference :D)



source:  https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEilbo9aGPx9mfWpNNReB5OSOJgQ0Mtyx3tXhrYDNfqzJh3ACjZmDVRaCC4MAYYcOGr5JNPMOv7TPd_XqKL71K8fB8GegPEVqnWEL310EBRnFHDa5mfhbzguNlZ6LOfgA_7Mh2XHEbJfuj61/s1600/pizza.jpg

And its kiraak that she feels the same way about me too, when I love someone I accept them as a whole, no conditions or terms and that's all I ask of the other person too, to love me for who I am. And if I do find a person like that I sure as hell don't let go! So this is an ode to my girl, my best friend, my sister Janani . . . Thank you for gracing my life with your presence. Thank you for accepting me as a whole, faults and all and most of all thank you for making my journey that much more memorable! She's a year younger than me, but doesn't look like it! She displays wisdom that surpasses her age! So Happy Birthday girl and with the blessings of Lay's may you live a happy and prosperous life! I love you :).



source: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3485/3928110171_5fa7c3e2dd_z.jpg

(P.S : About the heading 'Homegirl' I picked it up from the Big Bang Theory . . it means  . .. all of the above!)

No comments:

Post a Comment